welcome



And if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go somewhere only we know


Somewhere only we know


Thursday, April 22, 2010

To advance, retreat or stay put?

To advance means to move forward, and such an action involves taking risks. On a battlefield, a soldier may have to leave his safety net to move nearer to his enemies in order to aim for a better shot, but that means his life is also placed in greater danger than before. In school, a student may decide to put all his focus on one particular subject that he is weaker in to conquer that subject, but the opportunity cost of this is studying other subjects hence he might have to face the deterioration of other subjects' results. In a friendship, a person may spend more time with a friend to build the trust between them, but he is exposing the trust he has to possible betrayal. In a relationship, you give your all to someone, while reciprocation is only a maybe, rejection and dejection are commonplace. The most vital thing you're putting at risk is your heart, and your friendship with that person because we must understand that a breakup will leave a lasting scar on you and that friendship can never be the same again.

To retreat means to back away, and this leads to the formation of thousands of "what if"s in your tiny head. For the soldier, backing away means running away from the war and this cowardice may haunt his mind for a long time to come especially if his army had lost the war, and "What if I had fired that crucial shot? (Maybe we would have won the war)" will probably run through his mind several times a day. The student may choose to give up on the subject he's weak in and simply continue studying the others, but at the end when he got his graduation certificate, he'll likely wonder "What if I had worked hard on Math? (Maybe my certificate will look much better with an A grade instead of a U for Math)". In the friendship, one can choose not to trust his friend but this kind of friendship usually don't last long and the two parties merely end up as acquantainces. When he finally realises that he totally has no one to turn to, the question that appears will be "What if I had trusted him? (Maybe we would have become best friends who will be there for each other no matter what)". For a relationship, as it is often cited, "It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all." True? Maybe. Who knows if you haven't tried? And having given a shot, at least "What if I had told him how much I really loved him? (Maybe I would be the bride instead of a guest at his wedding dinner today)". But after retreating, all is too late and regret is probably the best word to describe how you'll feel.

To stay put means to remain stagnant. Doing nothing-this may seem to be the easiest thing to do out of the three options but no, in most cases, it is actually not. A soldier cannot stay at the same location for long because the enemies may advance and attack him; A student cannot continue struggling with Math because that'll affect his overall results; A person cannot choose to inject 50% of trust into his friend-that is not very possible because conflicts do occur and the amount of trust you have in him will decide the fate of your friendship; One cannot like someone without knowing if the other party loves him back for a long while, afterall who doesn't want his love to be reciprocated?

***********************************************************************************
Wow that were three long paragraphs I typed during work which is now HAHA I'm such a slacker :/ It's Thursday and I really hope today will fly by and Saturday will come! (I don't mind skipping Friday heehee) So work really started on Monday and I gave the same answer when everyone asked me about work...it's boring oops. But nvm la at home also nuah, no money somemore so just work lor!

YAYAY TGIF TGIF TGIF! (in advance hahahaha)